Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Diabetes Blog Week/Post 3

One of my most remembered bloopers was when I was waiting in line at the grocery store after work. Suddenly I felt myself going hypo and immediately reached inside the soda cooler that's strategically placed near the checkout, took out a 20 oz bottle of coke, gulped down half of it, put the cap back on and set it back in the cooler. Must have thought I was home at the fridge.
The next day I recalled what I had done and went back and the bottle was still sitting in the cooler, so I took it out and paid for it.

The second really isn't a blooper, but funny nonetheless. 9 years ago I had surgery for a detached retina. In order to hold it against the back of the eye while it healed, a nitrous oxide bubble was place in the eye. This bubble would gradually decrease in size over the next weeks. I had to wear a neon pink plastic wristband that acknowledged the presence of the bubble because there were certain situtions and medications that could cause it to burst. One day I was waiting at the busstop and a young man pointed to the bracelet and said, "drugs or alcohol?" Apparently residents in treatment programs are given such a bracelet when they have a day pass to leave the facility. I looked him straight in the eye and said, "heroin", He replied, "I thought so. I can spot you guys a mile away."

10 comments:

meanderings said...

You put it back in the cooler?! Too funny. Extra points for going back to pay for it.

Lauren said...

Hilarious! :)

Zazzy said...

Put it back in the cooler? LOL. I used to stick stuff in my pockets when I was shopping from the wheelchair or using a walker - I was always sure I'd forget to pull them out again and figured security was following me around the store.

But I can't believe no one had removed the soda or noticed you drinking it and putting it back!

Kelly Booth said...

That is funny that you put it back and good that you actually remembered doing it!

Meagan said...

LOL!!! Great bloopers, and I loved your answer to the dude at the bus stop. I swear diabetes causes our goofy sense of humor!!! :)

HVS said...

Those are funny-you'll always remember what those bracelets really mean!

The DL said...

HAHAH I literally just laughed SO hard. I love your sense of humor!!! This is amazing.

Lee Ann Thill said...

OMG, I love the story about the soda bottle, but the heroin comment? That's just priceless!

And I find it eerie that I too mentioned heroin in my blooper post...

Crystal said...

Oh My Goodness!
I would have answered that too! Tells ya how much people "think" they Know! HA!

I would have gone back to pay for it also. I can't imagine doing that in the first place though!

Thanks for sharing. Life does give us funny moments.

Sara said...

The first story had me laughing - the second story had me rolling on the ground. Heroin?! LOL!